Sunday 4 October 2015

AS Media Evaluation Questions

In this post I will be talking you through the questions that the exam board have given us, it's always a good idea to see what the specification is from the exam board is just so we know we are doing the right things.

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
This question is asking us if we are going to stick to a typical thriller story line like a murder case or an escape from the police or a gang etc. or whether we are going to create our own innovative thriller plot. For example, if we look at Shrek they challenge the generic conventions of a typical fantasy (Propp's Theory) you expect at the start of the film for it to be a typical fantasy with the music and the opening titles at the start with the castles and the prince etc. but then when the film starts it is the complete opposite to a proper fantasy film.

How does your media product represent particular social groups?
For this question we need to take into account the different types of social groups we are going to showcase in our film and the people we are aiming our film at (Target Audience). When representing social groups (Sexuality, Gender, Ethnicity, Religion, Beliefs etc.) we need to make sure we are representing them in an appropriate way without offending any of them and making sure we don't isolate the different social groups we use in our film.

Who would be the audience for your media product?
I won't know what my audience for my film will be yet as I haven't decided the story for my film just yet. When I have decided the story for my film then I will be able to discuss and decide the type of audience I would like to watch my film. I will need to consider the violence and language i have in my film and then use the BBFC guidelines in order for me to decide my audience.

How did you attract/address your audience?
We have to make our film a successful thriller and we also have to make it different to any other thriller out there (Steve Neale's Theory), as long as it doesn't follow the same story line as every other thriller out there then we will manage to attract our audience.

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
So far we haven't started filming our product so I can't really make a comment on how technologies has helped with the construction of the product. When we have filmed our product we can decide which lighting creates suspense and the camera angles and camera shots etc.

Look back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression for it to the full product?
When filming our preliminary task we hadn't really learnt the more advanced camera movements and camera shots or lighting so we didn't really have a lot to work with we just had the basics. Now we have learnt the more advanced camera movements and techniques we would now be able to improve our preliminary task.

Within my next post I will be showing you and taking you through a deconstruction of 2 Thriller films.